Peace Leadership Affinity Group (PLAG)
Who are we?
How can ILA members be involved? In addition to joining PLAG (instructions below):
Peace Leadership Affinity Group
The Peace Leadership Affinity Group (PLAG) develops synergies among peace workers, peace organizations and leaders interested in peace leadership principles. It is a forum where the voices of peace can meet to nurture each other's needs and collaborate on common interests.
The Peace Leadership Affinity Group provides a forum for those interested in leadership principles that serve a sustainable peace. It wishes to establish a community within ILA that allows for exchange of ideas, best practices and action plans. It also intends to be a forum to support each member in their efforts towards a more peaceful world.
Peace is more than the absence of violent conflict (Galtung). It requires a vision of a system of values and practices that promote a peaceful approach to conflict if not a new vision of human identity. It corresponds to the silent revolution in leadership exemplified by the learning organization (Senge). The PLAG provides for a meeting space where those interested in peace and peace leadership can develop concepts, approaches and action plans where 1+1 = 3 and much more.
Principles and Practices
The ILA PLAG wishes to:
- Be a forum where collaborations between peace leaders is welcome and encouraged
- Provide a forum where those interested in peace leadership can develop networks that serve their peace visions and their peace actions
- Be an information hub for peace leadership events by directing its members to peace information sources
- Promote and support peace leadership initiatives, such as conferences, webinars, workshops, etc. in order to build relationships and share knowledge, skills, and experiences
- Support the learning needs of peace leaders by either referring to existing training/education modules or identifying gaps
- Develop synergies between peace leaders, community-based peacebuilders, peace workers, peace service organizations and levels of governments developing peace leadership practices
- Explore joint activities with other ILA MIGs and Affinity Groups (AG) to apply a peace lens to all aspects of leadership
How to Affiliate With This Community
ILA members who affiliate with an AG receive occasional emails of interest from their AG leaders including volunteer openings, updates on AG initiatives, and opportunities to provide feedback. To affiliate/join: log in to this profile update form, scroll down and "Edit Your ILA Member Community Settings." Make sure to click Submit at the bottom of the page in order to save your changes. Membership forums will also be available at the annual meeting of the PLAG during the ILA Annual Conference. There are no specific expectations for the participants of the PLAG. Participants are cordially invited to the annual meeting during the ILA Annual Conference. They also receive relevant notes submitted by participants intended for distribution to the PLAG. In due course, the PLAG may develop common projects as well as special peace leadership interest sub-groups. It may also support peace leadership publications through soliciting submissions or even develop its own peace leadership scholarship forums. The organizational structure of such will be determined upon participants' needs and preferences.
Contact ILA's membership team at firstname.lastname@example.org with any general questions about ILA's member communities.